We harvest produce fresh for our farm stand every morning. Much of it is grown in our 1/4 acre market garden & hoop house. Crops grown here include our signature year-round Salad Mix, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, kale, chard, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, radishes, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, garlic, & herbs. The beds are managed intensively, growing 2-3 crops per year, in rotation, fertilized with our own compost and without any pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Call it “beyond organic”.
In the backyard, behind the store, you’ll find pick-you-own sugar snap peas in spring and raspberries in fall. Sugar Snap peas are available for picking from mid June into early July. The fall raspberries begin producing in mid-August and continue through October. Picking is first-come first serve, open all day every day during store hours. Raspberries are $4.00/pint. Adjacent is a pick-your-own herb & flower garden, and a “bean teepee” for the kids to play in. (These crops are also managed without the use of any pesticides or chemical fertilizers.)
Down the road near the Strawberry fields we plant and cultivate about 2 acres of row crops with tractors including sweetcorn, winter squash, pumpkins, potatoes, leeks, melons, popcorn, and flint corn. These are crops that we once sold certified organic to local co-ops. We still grow them the same way, with only organic fertilizers and pesticides, but since everything is retailed here on site we no longer need to certify. (Organic certification is prohibitively expensive and difficult for small diverse farms.)
Upinngil Crops for 2018:
- Year round: Salad Mix
- By June: Strawberries, Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas, Bok Choy, Napa Cabbage, Summer Squash, Zucchini, Radishes, Salad Turnips, Herbs, Cut Flowers, Shiitake Mushrooms.
- By July: Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Carrots, Swiss Chard, Kale.
- By August: Garlic, Husk Cherries, Muskmelons, Cantaloupe, Watermelons, Peaches.
- By September: Fall Raspberries, Potatoes, Winter Squash, Broccoli, Cabbage, Leeks.
- By October: Pumpkins, Decorative Corn, Popcorn.
Additional Locally-grown Crops for 2018:
- By May: Plants and Flowers, Straw.
- By June: Rhubarb.
- By July: Cabbage, Beets, Broccoli, Green Beans, Blueberries.
- By August: Onions, Garlic, Eggplant, Apples, Pears, Peaches.
- By September: Sweet Potatoes.